On Sun, 02 Feb 2003 11:16:31 +0100
Cedric Berger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Marco Grigull wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 16:12:26 +0100
> >Daniel Hartmeier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >>Yes, try this:
> >>
> >>  pass in log on $ext_if dup-to ($dmz_if 10.1.2.3) all
> >>
> >>replacing 10.1.2.3 with the IP address of your loghost.
> >>

> >this rule loads, though I cannot see all (or any) of the traffic that
> > would be viewable on ext_if with tcpdump.  pflog reveals nothing either
> >
> Is this rule the LAST one that matches your input packets?
> Are you sure there is no "quick" rule before?
> Cedric

# forward stuff to our loghost/IDS
pass in log on $ext_if dup-to $dmz_if all
pass out log quick on $dmz_if all
block in log quick on $dmz_if all

These are the FIRST rules in the ruleset.
I would think that the first line makes a copy of all packets on ext_if to dmz_if,
 regardless of wether they get blocked later or not.  Or is that incorrect logic?
I have tried a few variations on the first rule to no avail.

The second rule should immediatly push this out onto the dmz_if interface,
the third stopping any replies (icmp, whatever) comming back.

all subsequent rules define what can and cant happen on the ext_if, with a pass
on etherything else

Marco

PS.  what happens to the logging of a packet that matches a rule further down, that
doesnt specify logging?  is this interfering with the cloned packet in any way?
Should dup-to
packets be explicitly logged when the log keyword is used?