On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 08:43:51PM +1000, Marco Grigull wrote:

> # forward stuff to our loghost/IDS
> pass in log on $ext_if dup-to $dmz_if all
> pass out log quick on $dmz_if all
> block in log quick on $dmz_if all
>
> These are the FIRST rules in the ruleset.
> I would think that the first line makes a copy of all packets on ext_if to dmz_if,
>  regardless of wether they get blocked later or not.  Or is that incorrect logic?

No, that's a wrong assumption. Only the last matching rule matters. Any
previously matching rules are completely irrelevant, their options like
log or dup-to are not applied.

You have to make sure your dup-to rule is the last matching one, or add
the dup-to option to all last-matching rules that should use dup-to.

> PS.  what happens to the logging of a packet that matches a rule further down, that
> doesnt specify logging?  is this interfering with the cloned packet in any way?
>Should dup-to
> packets be explicitly logged when the log keyword is used?

See above, log is only used if the last matching rule has that option.

dup-to and log are unrelated options, you can dup-to with or without
logging and log with or without dup-to.

Daniel