Hi,

I have an OpenBSD 3.3 firewall which acts as a transparent bridge between our network (not NATted) and a router giving access to the rest of the world. The bridging interfaces are configured without IP address and a third (management) NIC is configured with an IP address inside our network's address space. A colleague of mine claims that this can lead to confusion in the routing/bridging code of the firewall and possible corruption of the arp table. He says that the management interface should never be in the same logical or physical network as one of the two sides of the bridge, i.e. it should have an address in rfc1918 space and be physically connected to different networking hardware.

I have difficulty in understanding how this could be true and he cannot give me an explanation other than that he has had trouble with this in the past (running older versions of OpenBSD 3.2 with ipf). Can someone here enlighten me as to whether this is really a possible problem and if so how exactly some sort of corruption/glitch could happen?

Thanks a lot,

Marc

P.S. Naturally I am aware of the fact that having the management interface on a separate NATted network with it's own protection is a good thing security-wise, so that's not really my question.