On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 16:22:56 +0200 Marc Balmer wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 13:27:36 +0200
> Jan Roeloffzen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > NETWORK and SERVERS should be on the same subnet to make it work with a
> > bridge. Your second setting with routers suggests they are not?
>
> In my setting, they actually are in the same subnet.  The bridge "divides" the
> ethernet segement in two parts, both contain hosts in the same subnet.
>
> Yet, it does not work....
>
> - Marc

It cannot work. Bridges are layer 2 devices. They forward packets based
on layer 2 addresses. Rewriting the IP address (layer 3) is something
the bridge will not notice, because there is no routing involved and
hence no lookup of the (new) layer 2 address. The bridge simply forwards
to the original layer 2 address.

Dieter

---
Dieter Kasielke, ZRZ (Zentraleinrichtung Rechenzentrum), Sekr.: EN 50,
Technische Universitaet Berlin, Einsteinufer 17, D-10587 Berlin, GERMANY.
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED], phone: +49 30 314 - 23733, fax: - 21060