On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 10:47, Dieter Kasielke wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 16:22:56 +0200 Marc Balmer wrote:
> > On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 13:27:36 +0200
> > Jan Roeloffzen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > NETWORK and SERVERS should be on the same subnet to make it work with a
> > > bridge. Your second setting with routers suggests they are not?
> >
> > In my setting, they actually are in the same subnet.  The bridge "divides" the
> > ethernet segement in two parts, both contain hosts in the same subnet.
> >
> > Yet, it does not work....
> >
> > - Marc
> >
> It cannot work. Bridges are layer 2 devices. They forward packets based
> on layer 2 addresses. Rewriting the IP address (layer 3) is something
> the bridge will not notice, because there is no routing involved and
> hence no lookup of the (new) layer 2 address. The bridge simply forwards
> to the original layer 2 address.

This _can_ work if you've assigned an IP address to the front of your
bridge.  I've setup a hybrid bridge/router box where the 2nd leg is a
NAT'd LAN and the 3rd leg is a bridged DMZ.  All traffic on ($ext_if)
port "whatever" is redirected to a server on the DMZ.  Of course, this
is not a true layer-2 bridge for that traffic, but it can be done.

But no, unless your firewall/router has a reason to handle the packet at
layer-3 (besides filtering), you can't redirect.  You'll need an IP on
xl1 to do what you propose.

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting