From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Henning Brauer
Sent: Monday, September 01, 2003 3:47 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Speed issues with bridge firewall

On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 12:20:04PM -0500, Mathew Binkley wrote:
> The firewall box is a SuperMicro 1U box with ServerWorks GC-LE
> chipset,
> dual 1.8 GHz Xeons, 1 GB RAM, 40 gig hard drive, and two gigabit NIC's
> (one Intel, the other NatSemi 83820).  OpenBSD doesn't support SMP, so
> only one of the processors is being used.

dmesg would help.
my bet is on the nge(4), tho. at GigE - esp. when you run jumbo frame
- it is not very efficient. I'd be interested in figures with a second
em(4).

> Results:
>
>     No firewall:    939 Mbits/sec thoroughput
>     Firewall:       785 Mbits/sec thoroughput

that's already pretty impressive...

check systat vmstat while doing the tests. I bet the interrupt #s kill
you. check especially which device causes how many.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Dennis Ritchie)