Daniel,

I actually had the chance to meet Harald Welte, one of the core members of
the Netfilter/IPTables team at the Linux Symposium this year.  I think in
large part he agrees with you and Henning.  When I spoke with him about
string matching and TCP stream reassembly/filtering, he most definitely did
not care for these approaches.

The whole problem is that the RFCs are pretty much guidelines so it's almost
impossible to have a solid L7/Proxy system.  There are an almost hopeless
amount of extensions to practically all protocols, and to make matters
worse, many of the extensions are proprietary or poorly/undocumented.

However, in the Enterprise, with the constant barrage of worms and the given
that Windows based systems are everywhere, I believe that something,
especially a layered solution is better than nothing.  Sheesh, it's gotten
so bad in the last couple years; that even company Intranets have to be
treated as hostile networks.  Too bad there's not a pf for Windows, don't
even ask me about host based Windows firewalls...

I also had the pleasure of talking with Marty Roesch recently.  There's a
lot of cool things going on at SourceFire and then being put into snort.
Something like Hogwash--adaptive (N)IDS is interesting although IDS still
has quite a ways to go.  You might be surprised though how effective IDS
signatures can be at selectively blocking traffic.  I don't want to get too
far off on a tangent though.  Despite the significant issues with IDS, tell
me a better alternative.

Personally though I think you and Henning are doing an awesome job.  For
security products especially, quality far outweighs quantity.  The biggest
problem with security products is exactly what you are saying--people are
looking for a quick fix instead of developing a clean and robust system.

<> Jim