On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 05:13:23PM +0000, Miles Sabin wrote:

>   Options returning packets have no effect if pf(4) operates on a
>   bridge(4).
>
> which leaves me even more puzzled. The block rule is on a bridge
> interface, yet the RST is being returned (definitely by the bridge
> itself, not one of the hosts behind it).
>
> Can anyone shed any light on this?

return-rst/-icmp require a bridge to have IP addresses assigned and
routing table entries added. Basically, you must be able to ping the
destination of the RST packet from userland, i.e. have a suitable source
address and (default) route to the destination. Hence, on a 'pure'
bridge (with no IP addresses assigned, where the firewall's TCP/IP stack
is isolated from IP networking, forwarding only frames on ethernet
level), return-rst/-icmp doesn't work (the generated packets are dropped
due to lacking routes).

Show us the tcpdump -n -e -ttt -i pflog0 output that makes you believe
your ruleset is blocking pf generated RSTs.

Daniel