Hi,

I'm not sure whether Ed's idea would be the best way to do it, but it
raises a very good question that makes pf sometimes not useful as it should be.

When one setups a firewall, I agree that it can be globally the same whether
FTP is transparent proxified through user space proxy or directly managed
by the kernel. Both cases can be efficient, and the former is simpler and
probably clearer, as it reduces the amount of protocole specific code into
the kernel.

However, when one does bridge traffic shaping, this is not the same thing
at all : proxifying means that your are not bridging any more, using a IP
address for the bridge, and so on. I really think it is a very dirty
solution. The kernel space solution here is much cleaner, as it is
transparent for the firewall administrator. Thus he does not have to take
care of the ports used by the FTP protocol.

The idea of ftpsesame could be good, but it does not seem to be on the way
to inclusion into the tree...

I really think the OpenBSD bridge/traffic shaper solution is the best
available (by far). But having to proxify FTP or managing FTP data by ports
is such a pain in the neck ...

Julien