* Julien Bordet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2004-03-01 23:31]:
> Henning Brauer wrote:
> >* Julien Bordet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2004-03-01 21:35]:
> >>However, when one does bridge traffic shaping, this is not the same thing
> >>at all : proxifying means that your are not bridging any more, using a IP
> >>address for the bridge, and so on. I really think it is a very dirty
> >>solution. The kernel space solution here is much cleaner, as it is
> >>transparent for the firewall administrator.
> >you are so wrong.
> >doing this kind of proxying in-kernel is just plain wrong,
> >and error-prone.
> In fact, even if it does not really matter to you in fact, I'm not
> talking about a kernel "proxy" here. I'm talking about something smart
> enough to tag packets "related" and so to "pass" them.

that is a proxy in my eyes.
in any case this shares the problems with ipf's in kernel proxy and
linux' netfilter gunk.
a bugtraq archive near you shows them they are somewhat popular there.

> Yet, I'm talking about a feature we need. Bridging with a certain
> "understanding" of the FTP protocol is clearly needed.

nah

> And yes FTP is a
> crappy protocol,. I'm not a I-want-everything-in-the-kernel guy, I 'd
> like a solution.

you have a solution. it is called ftp-proxy.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Dennis Ritchie)