Daniel Hartmeier wrote:

I won't say your case of 'very few connections generating so many

packets that they need balancing' is hypothetical, but it's certainly
uncommon. Most people will have a smaller packets/connection rate and
per-connection balancing works well enough.

I would counter this by suggesting that once you set aside common HTTP connection, which is much of the public traffic now, many connections are long lived. Streaming, file transfer, VPNs etc. Just because they get lost in the noise that is HTTP doesn't mean that many people could use it :-)

Peter