On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 09:50:27AM +0700, Dmitry Medvedev wrote:
> openbsd 3.8
> mazzy[3.8]# cat /var/tmp/123
> A="'10/8'"
> B="'192/8'"

Are you just using single quotes to get around
the fact that double-quotes are symmetric and
thus can't be nested?

We should do something about that, but I'm not sure
what, since the paired punctuation marks seem to all
have significance.  I think the same thing happened
in bourne shell, and so in POSIX now they have $()
instead of backticks.  Any ideas on what would be
the most obvious way to allow nested quotes?

In Perl you can specify a delimiter of your choosing;
specifically, qq{} means quote the stuff in curly braces,
and qq() parenthesis, qq|| means vertical bars, etc.
(Specifically, q is qoute, qq is double-quote, qx is
quote and execute, etc.)

This is handy, since with fixed strings you can pick
something not in the string...
--
``Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.''
-- Albert Einstein -><- <URL:http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/>