As there was no reply to this email of mine, anybody can tell me if there is some other place where I can submit this question?

At least, anybody can tell me if my theory about bandwidth assignments is wrong?

Thanks.

Federico Giannici wrote:
I have a problem creating a policy to make a fair use of available bandwidth in a situation with a lot of potential users.

We have a certain number of users, each one with a committed bandwidth of X or Y. We setup a queue system with an HFSC queue for each user, with a bandwidth ("linkshare" parameter) proportional to X or Y.

This system doesn't seem to work in a fair way: when an user does a HUGE download with a very large number of packets and bytes per second, it steals almost all bandwidth to the other users requiring only a little of bandwidth.

It seems that the borrowed bandwidth is distributed to the queues based on the amount of required packets (or bytes). Indeed I'd like that the bandwidth is distributed strictly proportional to the assigned bandwidth.

Let's make and example:
Both users A and B have an assigned bandwidth of 1 bps.
User A currently requires 4 bps.
User B currently requires 100 bps.
There are currently available 10 bps.

I'd like that the 10 bps would be equally distributed to both users (as they have the same assigned bandwidth), so both had 5 bps. User A uses 4 bps and leaves 1 bps to user B that so uses 6 bps.

Indeed it seems that, as user B requires 25 times more bandwidth of user A, then it is assigned almost ALL bandwidth, and user A is not able to use more then it's committed 1 bps, and so 3 out of 4 bits are dropped!

Is this true?
Is there a way to obtain my desired behavior?

Please note that I cannot simply increase the commited bandwidth of both users to 5 bps because there are a lot of other "potential" users (that currently are not using bandwidth) so the sum of bandwidths would exceeds the bandwidth of the parent queue.

Thanks.

    __
   |-                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]