Jose Mendoza wrote:

How can be efectivly configured the PostgreSQL to run in a machine with 2 CPUs Xeon 2.4 GHz and 4GB of RAM? The PostgreSQL work with the 2 processors?
I had run tests and the tiems is always the same that in a computer with 1 CPU pentium 4 2.4GHz and 2GB RAM.

The way it works with Postgres is that discrete transactions/queries only run on a single processor. So if you only have 1 user running 1 session, Postgres will never use more than 1 CPU.

With multiple users and/or multiple sessions, work is spread over the multiple CPUs.

I intend to use the postgreSQL in several projects that requiere to attend about 1000 - 2500 users in a chain of retail stores. Is is that possible? Or is beyond that the postgresql possibilities?

I'm sure Postgres could handle it. Whether the hardware you currently have spec'd out could handle it or your application framework could handle it is a totally different story. We could give you our best guess based on more detailed info -- like how big is the total & working dataset, what are the usage patterns, what kind of queries/transactions are most common, etc. -- but you will definitely have to do your own profiling to get accurate numbers.

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to [EMAIL PROTECTED])