On 12 May 2004, at 12:17 PM, Manfred Koizar wrote:

On Tue, 11 May 2004 15:46:25 -0700, Paul Tuckfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

- I'll bet you have a low value for shared buffers, like 10000.  On
your 3G system
  you should ramp up the value to at least 1G (125000 8k buffers)

In most cases this is almost the worst thing you can do. The only thing
even worse would be setting it to 1.5 G.

Postgres is just happy with a moderate shared_buffers setting.  We
usually recommend something like 10000.  You could try 20000, but don't
increase it beyond that without strong evidence that it helps in your
particular case.

This has been discussed several times here, on -hackers and on -general.
Search the archives for more information.

We have definitely found this to be true here. We have some fairly complex queries running on a rather underpowered box (beautiful but steam-driven old Silicon Graphics Challenge DM). We ended up using a very slight increase to shared buffers, but gaining ENORMOUSLY through proper optimisation of queries, appropriate indices and the use of optimizer-bludgeons like "SET ENABLE_SEQSCAN = OFF"

Hal