I would recommend trying out several stripe sizes, and making your own measurements.

A while ago I was involved in building a data warehouse system (Oracle, DB2) and after several file and db benchmark exercises we used 256K stripes, as these gave the best overall performance results for both systems.

I am not saying "1M is wrong", but I am saying "1M may not be right" :-)

regards

Mark

Bjoern Metzdorf wrote:

1. Get many drives and stripe them into a RAID0 with a stripe width of 1MB. I am not quite sure if this stripe width is to be controlled at the application level (does postgres support this?) or if e.g. the "chunk size" of the linux software driver is meant. Normally a chunk size of 4KB is recommended, so 1MB sounds fairly large.

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?