Instead of starting with the service, trying starting up with 'postmaster'
binary. It can be found in the database server 'bin' folder and that should
give a little more detail failure message.

To enable logging please go through --> "16.4.5. Error Reporting and
Logging" at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/runtime-config.html

--
Shoaib Mir