On 7/20/07, Christoph Heibl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Dear experts,

I' ve been trying to mirror the harddisk of my old mac via firewire on my
new computer (Intel Core Duo, OS 10.4.10) which resulted fairly well expect
that my postgreSQL got screwed up. I then tried to install it once more, but
this failed. I guess I did not remove all the remaining files before
installation and I ended up with this failure:

Christoph-Heibls-Computer:~/src/postgresql-8.2.4 Stoffi$
./configure
[....]

Christoph-Heibls-Computer:~/src/postgresql-8.2.4 Stoffi$
make

[....]  All of PostgreSQL successfully made. Ready to install.

Christoph-Heibls-Computer:~/src/postgresql-8.2.4 Stoffi$
make install
make -C doc install
gzip -d -c ./postgres.tar.gz | ( cd /usr/local/pgsql/doc/html &&
/usr/bin/tar xf - )
/usr/bin/tar: index.html: Cannot open: File exists
/usr/bin/tar: preface.html: Cannot open: File exists
/usr/bin/tar: intro-whatis.html: Cannot open: File exists
/usr/bin/tar: history.html: Cannot open: File exists
/usr/bin/tar: notation.html: Cannot open: File exists
/usr/bin/tar: resources.html: Cannot open: File exists
[....]
/usr/bin/tar: bookindex.html: Cannot open: File exists
/usr/bin/tar: LEGALNOTICE.html: Cannot open: File exists
/usr/bin/tar: stylesheet.css: Cannot open: File exists
/usr/bin/tar: Read 2560 bytes from -
/usr/bin/tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
make[1]: *** [install] Error 2
make: *** [install] Error 2

The files seem to exist already but I simply do not find them.

My questions:
Are there deinstallation protocols for Mac? (I was not able to find any...)
How can I find and delete these files?
Or is it something else that hinders me from installing postgres?

I hope to hear from someone who can give me some hints - thanks a lot!

Not a Mac guy here, but I think you should try running configure with
a different prefix. For example:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/pgsql-tmp

This will avoid conflicts with old left over files (if any).

regards,
--
Sibte Abbas

               http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate