> On Feb 25, 2018, at 6:45 PM, Craig Ringer <cr...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>
> On 26 February 2018 at 04:12, Steve Atkins <st...@blighty.com> wrote:
>
> Writing SVG by hand maybe doesn't seem the best idea.
>
> I understand the attraction to people who want to store everything as
> diffable text, but images of this sort are unlikely to get updated by others,
> which means they're unlikely to be maintained as the things they're intended
> to document change. It also means that the people best suited to generating
> diagrams are the least likely to do so, and vice-versa.
>

> Yeah, I think it'd just effectively preserve the status quo by rendering
> anyone who's willing to add images and designs to the docs unable - or
> unlikely to be willing - to do so.

Yup. I do think that graphics would be nice in a few places, and that SVG is
likely the best format for them.

There are quite a few tools that could be integrated with varying amounts of
effort into the documentation generation workflow.

# ASCII language or ascii art to SVG

# asciitosvg

https://github.com/dhobsd/asciitosvg

Inspired by ditaa, similar in functionality

## blockdiag, seqdiag, actdiag, nwdiag

http://blockdiag.com

Generates various box and arrow diagrams from a DOT-ish input language.

## ditaa

It takes ascii art of box and arrow diagrams and turns them into nice svg. Also
supports boxes that look like "storage" cylinders, documents, clouds and
computers.

## erd

https://github.com/BurntSushi/erd

Entity relationship diagrams, from a plain text input. Uses DOT and graphviz
under the covers.

## Markdeep

http://casual-effects.com/markdeep/

In-browser javascript rendering of ascii art, particularly boxes and arrows.

Alternate implementation, https://github.com/blampe/goat, converts to SVG via
CLI.

## Mermaid

Flowcharts and sequence diagrams from a markdown-esque input.

## mscgen

Message sequence chart inputs in a DOT-ish language to SVG

## plantuml

http://plantuml.com

It supports a human-editable descriptive text input language and generates from
it:

  sequence diagrams
  various box + arrow style diagrams
  flowcharts
  state diagrams
  etc.

## shaape

https://github.com/christiangoltz/shaape

Converts ascii art to SVG. Rather nice.

## svgbob

https://github.com/ivanceras/svgbobrus

Ascii art to SVG. Likely good for boxes and arrows.

## syntrax

https://kevinpt.github.io/syntrax/

Railroad diagrams (like the ones SQLite docs are known for).

## umlet

http://www.umlet.com

Pointy-clicky editor, but also converts plain text to uml, sequence, activity
diagrams

# Interactive editor

## SVG-Edit

https://github.com/SVG-Edit/svgedit

Open source, browser based interactive SVG editor. Seems to generate fairly
clean SVG.

Cheers,
  Steve