> Am 10.12.2021 um 13:01 schrieb Achilleas Mantzios
> <ach...@matrix.gatewaynet.com>:
>
> On 10/12/21 1:24 μ.μ., o1bigtenor wrote:
>>

>> On Fri, Dec 10, 2021 at 3:24 AM Achilleas Mantzios
>> <ach...@matrix.gatewaynet.com <mailto:ach...@matrix.gatewaynet.com>> wrote:
>> Hi
>> we are running some 140 remote servers (in the 7 seas via satellite
>> connections), and in each one of them we run:
>> - jboss
>> - postgresql
>> - uucp (not as a daemon)
>> - gpsd
>> - samba
>> - and possibly some other services
>>
>> Hardware and software upgrades are very hard since there is no physical
>> access to those servers by trained personnel, and also there is a diversity
>> of software versions.
>>
>> The idea for future upgrades is to containerize certain aspects of the
>> software. The questions are (I am not skilled in docker, only minimal
>> contact with lxd) :
>> - is this a valid use case for containerization?
>> - are there any gotchas around postgersql, the reliability of the system ?
>> - since we are talking about 4+ basic services (pgsqk, jboss, uucp, samba),
>> is docker a good fit or should we be looking into lxd as well?
>> - are there any success stories of other after following a similar path?
>>

> Thanks
>> My experience with LXD is that upon install you are now on a regular update
>> plan that is impossible to change.
> Ehhmmm we are running some old versions there already (jboss, pgsql), LXD
> would not differ in this regard.
> What do you mean? that the updates for LXD are huge? short spaced/very
> regular?
> Can you pls elaborate some more on that?

IIRC, you can’t really control, which updates are installed for LXD (and snap).
You can’t create a local mirror.

IIRC, you can delay snap updates, but you can’t really reject them.

Maybe you can these days, with landscape server?

(insert the usual rant about Enterprise != Ubuntu here)

I don’t know about LXD, but as it’s only running on Ubuntu and is  apparently
developed by a single guy (who might or might not work for Canonical - sorry,
too lazy to check), I wouldn’t hold my breath as to its long-term viability.

Ubuntu will probably morph into a container-only, cloud-only OS sooner than
later - the writing is on the wall (IMHO).

>> This means that your very expensive data connection will be preempted for
>> updates at the whim of the
>> canonical crew. Suggest not using such (most using such on wireless
>> connections seem to have found
>> the resultant issues less than wonderful - - cost (on the data connection)
>> being #1 and the inability to achieve
>> solid reliability crowding it for #2).
> Crew has their own paid service. Business connection is for business not crew.

The word „crew“ was meant to say „employees of Canonical“ - I’m sure the
allegory was not meant to mess with you...

> What I am interested is, could docker be of any use in the above scenario?
> Containerization in general?
> The guys (admins/mgmt) here seem to be dead set on docker, but I have to
> guarantee some basic data safety requirements.

I know very little about docker, but IMO, for ultimate stability, you could
switch to RHEL and use their certified images:

https://catalog.redhat.com/software/containers/search?q=PostgreSQL%2012&p=1

My coworker says, he re-packages all his docker-images himself (with RPMs from
his own mirror), so that he understands what’s really in them.

The big problem that I see with your use-case and docker is that docker implies
frequent, small updates to the whole stack - including docker itself (unless
you pay for the LTS version).

This is not what you do right now, I reckon?

The question is: do you want to get there?
But maybe your developers want to get here, because they don’t want to learn
about software-packaging (anymore) - but is that what the business wants?

https://www.docker.com/blog/how-carnival-creates-customized-guest-experiences-with-docker/

(That was pre-pandemic…)

I would make an educated guess that you’d need to have the whole
docker-infrastructure on each ship (build-server, repository etc.pp.) to
minimize sat-com traffic.

I mean, it looks like it could be done. But this is where the „dev“ part in the
„devops" world has to take a step back and the „ops“ guys need to come forward.

Rainer