On Nov 12, 2007, at 5:11 PM, Sarah Dougherty wrote:
For some context, I am trying to create a report that provides a list of client charges and payments and a "running balance" after each transaction. Because we often have multiple charges and/or payments on the same day, we can't use the transaction date to calculate this balance. Instead, I want to calculate our running balance by assigning a transaction ID to each transaction a d then having the query sum up transaction amounts for all transactions with an equal or lower ID.

I think you'd be much better off writing a function that does this for you... it'd have to accept and amount and then keep a running total. Wouldn't be a bad idea to have a boolean you can pass in that will reset the total, too... that would allow using it in a grouping scenario. Erm, I guess you'd actually have to accept something like a hash; pass in a hash of all the grouping fields and whenever that changes you reset the total.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  [EMAIL PROTECTED]