On Fri, 15 Feb 2008, Tom Lane wrote:

He claims it didn't work, but there's no details about what went wrong. He also seems entirely misinformed on the difference between "portable" and "PG-specific" pg_dump output.

I just left a note on this and related subjects on the blog. If you search for "postgresql upgrade 8.3" on Google that comes back as hit #5 already and it would be good to shut down some of the misunderstandings there ("PostgreSQL doesn't recreate the databases during the restore process"?) before they get any more publicity.

--
* Greg Smith [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq