Alvaro Herrera wrote:
Joe Conway wrote:
It occurs to me that it shouldn't be terribly difficult to make an alternate version of crosstab() that returns an array rather than tuples (back when crosstab() was first written, Postgres didn't support NULL array elements). Is this worth considering for 8.4?

How about returning generic rows?  Is that possible?  It would be really
neat if you didn't have to specify the return type in the query that
invoked the crosstab.

Yeah, I was thinking about that as well. I'm not sure how difficult it would be. Hopefully I'll be able to find some time to play with it in the next month or so.

I keep wondering if there's a way to "pivot" (transpose) a result set
defined by the standard.

I've looked at SQL2003 and couldn't find anything, but then again I could have easily missed it.

Joe

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq