Steve Atkins wrote:

On Jan 13, 2009, at 10:34 AM, Jason Long wrote:

I would like to use PSQLFS(http://www.edlsystems.com/psqlfs/)
to store 100 GB of images in PostgreSQL.

Once they are in there I can deal with them. My main purpose is to use rsync to get the files into the database.

Is there a better way to load 20,000 plus files reliably into Postgres?

If it's a filesystem then you'd get the files into the system
by copying them there. You wouldn't want to touch the
database manually (that'd be like touching the raw disk
device on a real filesystem).

Conversely, it's just a filesystem. There's not really any use
to putting a filesystem on top of a database on top of a filesystem
other than the (significant) hack value.

In other words, you probably don't really want to do this.

Cheers,
  Steve

I just want an easy way to load the files into the DB and their original path they were loaded from.

Is possible through SQL to load a file into a bytea column?