Bob Pawley wrote:
Hi

I've been operating on localhost successfully for some time.

I am now attempting to access a Postgresql 8.3 database installed on one of my other computers conneted through a router.

Is this possible?

My first attempts have been with Postgresql Admin.

I changed host to the IP address of the computer and input the other info.

I also ran - listen virtual; on the receiving server.

It hasn't connected successfully. I get the message 'Server not listening'

What else can I do??

Bob

Postgresql is configure by default to drop all connections that are not localhost

see
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/auth-pg-hba-conf.html
to make sure its configured to accept connections other than localhost

Second on the router make sure port 5432 is open and porting to the Postgresql which is the default port.