On Apr 27, 2009, at 7:00 AM, Robert Pepersack wrote:
My agency has a contractor that created a PostgreSQL database that he calls "object-oriented". I noticed that the contractor has more than one value in a column separated by commas. In the relational world, this obviously violates first normal form. When I asked about it, he said that it's because PostgreSQL is an "object- oriented database". I'm very skeptical.

Without knowing the details of the design, it's hard to comment on the design's strengths or weaknesses. However, there is nothing about PostgreSQL that requires any different design than one would use on any relational database.

Arrays are, sometimes, a good solution for particular problems, and PostgreSQL has very fluent array functionality, but nothing about PostgreSQL requires their use versus more traditional relational designs.