On May 1, 2010, at 12:47 PM, Thomas Løcke wrote:

> The
> sales-people all bang on about MSSQL being the superior choice, and
> PostgreSQL being a "toy compared to the Microsoft RDBMS".

This is complete bullshit.

I say that as someone who spent years using MS SQL Server, and who very much
enjoyed using it, and who still likes it. (Though I haven't used it much
lately.)

The high-level overview is that from a technical standpoint they are both
excellent products, and I consider them very much comparable for the databases
I've done. They have some different specific strengths & weaknesses for sure.
PG's locking scheme, MVCC, basically precludes certain specific optimizations
that means a small number of very specific queries don't perform as well, while
at the same time it means that throughput with multiple simultaneous
connections scales extremely well with multiple processors.

--
Scott Ribe
scott_r...@elevated-dev.com