On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 5:45 PM, Andy <angelf...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Not true.
>
> As a condition of getting European Commission's approval of its acquisition
> of Sun/MySQL, Oracle had to agree to continue the GPL release.
>
> And there are non-Oracle upgrades from Google, facebook, Percona, etc. So no
> one is beholden to Oracle.

It is true. The EU commitments are entirely independent of the licencing.

Also note that the commitments
(http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/press/042364) are pretty loosely
worded. For example, Oracle would be fulfilling them if they released
a new Enterprise version with 1000 new features, and a corresponding
community version with just one of those features.

And after 5 years (nearer to 4 now I guess), those commitments get
thrown away entirely.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com