On 09 Nov 2010, at 7:30 PM, David Boreham wrote:

Sorry but this is 100% not true. It may be true for a 3rd party (you release something under the GPL, I enhance it, therefore I am required to release my enhancement under the GPL). But Oracle owns the copyright to the MySql code and therefore they can decide to do whatever they want with it. The only thing they can't do is to 'un- release' existing code released under the GPL. Everything else is possible.

Ownership of the copyright trumps the GPL.

Ownership of the copyright is owned by whoever made the contribution, and any competent version control system will give you the list of contributions (and therefore contributors). If a contribution was made in terms of the GPL, then permission would need to be sought from everyone who has made a contribution before it could be released under a different license.

Regards,
Graham