On 2010-12-01 16.16, ma...@manfbraun.de wrote:
Hello !

I am coming from Sql Server right now and have to learn about the
infrastructure.

What I missed first, is, to execute procedures regularly/repeatedly
on a given time. I want to prevent my to write a lot external
programs und use cron :-(

cron is the standard way of scheduling reoccurring jobs on *nix systems. It's preferable to having each daemon implement scheduling on its own.

The othing thing is, that I need some internally running procedures, which
do some work. On Sql Server, I can use "auto-start stored procedures".
Is there anything like this in postgresql, or what can I do?

Is this long running processes, i.e daemons, or is it scheduled processes?

For long running I would recommend writing a proper daemon.
For scheduled I'd recommend cron or at.

And, is it just possible, to put a message to the syslog and with
my own identification string?

I'm pretty sure you can accomplish this in configuration if you're using syslog-ng. Other syslog alternatives probably has similar possibilities.

--
Regards,
Robert "roppert" Gravsjö