On 18/11/11 04:59, Tom Lane wrote:
Craig Ringer<ring...@ringerc.id.au>  writes:
On Nov 17, 2011 1:32 PM, "Tom Lane"<t...@sss.pgh.pa.us>  wrote:
If it's purely an insert-only table, such as a logging table, then in
principle you only need periodic ANALYZEs and not any VACUUMs.
Won't a VACUUM FREEZE (or autovac equivalent) be necessary eventually, to
handle xid wraparound?
Sure, but if he's continually adding new rows, I don't see much point in
launching extra freeze operations.

                        regards, tom lane

Just curious...

Will the pattern of inserts be at all relevant?

For example random inserts compared to apending records. I thought that random inserts would lead to bloat, as there would be lots of blocks far from the optimum fill factor.

Regards,
Gavin