On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 6:16 AM, Jayashankar K B
<jayashankar...@lnties.com> wrote:
> Ok. I did a manual patch and it Postgres 9.1.1 compiled for me without using
> the --disable-spinlocks option.
> Thanks a lot for the patch. :)
> By the way, could you please point me to the explanation on the significance
> of spinlocks for Postgres?

spinlocks are used all over the place to synchronize access to shared
data structures (see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinlock also
see here: http://rhaas.blogspot.com/2011/01/locking-in-postgresql.html).
 you can awkwardly implement them in high level languages like C but
typically there are hardware primitives that are much faster and
better to use.

very generally speaking, spinlocks are a better than semaphores when
the lock duration is very short, contention isn't terrible, and the
time taken to acquire the lock matters.

merlin