On 3/28/2013 2:13 PM, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
I would have rather made that part of the column definition similar to
how we create timestamps with or without timezones.  If a column is
tracking Yen it should always be Yen.  Y10,000 should never display as
$100.00 just because the locale changes.

or to another extreme, part of the data, such that different rows could have different monetary units. (eg, money is implemented as a pair (currency,amount). eeek, then you'd need exchange rate tables and such. hahahahaha, what a nightmare.