John R Pierce wrote on 10.04.2013 21:28:
On 4/10/2013 6:15 AM, Thomas Kellerer wrote:
psql (one of the possible client applications) uses the "datestyle"
parameter to decide on how to format a date column when displaying
it.

If you change the "datestyle" parameter in postgresql.conf, it will
influence the way psql displays the date values. Probably pgAdmin
will also check that setting (as I don't use pgAdmin I can't really
tell).

PSQL doesn't use that, postgres itself does.   it can be set on the
fly with SET on a per-connection basis, or with ALTER DATABASE on a
per-database basis.
But the *display* is done by the client.
And if Postgres (the server) did the conversion, I would not be able to see a
different date formatting in e.g. a JDBC based tool. So I guess psql is reading
that database/server setting.