On 2013-12-18 10:41, Kevin Grittner wrote:
Dean Gibson (DB Administrator) <postgre...@ultimeth.com> wrote:

... that clearly spends some time building a separate index.
No it doesn't.  If you are observing activity at that time, it is probably from
validating that the constraint is initially valid.

Ah ha!  That's what's consuming the time!  Thanks!

     5. If I need the separate index on Y, should it be built before or after
the FOREIGN KEY constraint?
In some cases it may allow faster initial validation of the constraint; if I
wanted the index I would probably build it before adding the constraint.

Again, that's what I needed to know!  Thanks again!