On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 12:39 PM, Geoff Winkless <pgsqlad...@geoff.dj>
wrote:

> On 21 January 2016 at 11:28, Chris Travers <chris.trav...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Resisting the urge to talk about how justice was actually seen in the
> Dark
> > Ages....
>
> Pitchforks. Baying crowds dragging those they consider to be
> wrongdoers from their beds and tying them to four horses and pulling
> them apart in the town square, without worrying about proof or reason.
> Trial by battle, where "the winner must have been in the right because
> God would make sure that the right man won". Women being drowned
> because it's better to kill an innocent girl (who will go straight to
> Heaven anyway) rather than let an evil witch live amongst us. Stuff
> like that.

Decent description of early 18th century Europe.  Not so great description
of early 8th century Europe.

> > But seriously, I think human judgment is better than a code which those
> who
> > want to cause problems can and will use as a weapon against the rest.
>
> Well, ish. The idea of having a strong published code which is
> tempered by human reasonableness is fairly well established in most
> legal systems.

I still side with the Scandinavian approach of passing general laws and
trusting judges to apply them in line with moral rather than purely legal
principles.

--
Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Efficito:  Hosted Accounting and ERP.  Robust and Flexible.  No vendor
lock-in.
http://www.efficito.com/learn_more