Hi Venkata,

I have't work on solaris sparc system since long but I would like to share
my feedback on this, I hope it might be useful.

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 10:14 AM, Venkata Balaji N <nag1...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> "make" command is generating the following error while compiling
> postgresql-9.5.3 on Solaris SPARC.

While working with PG, gmake is more appropriate then make that have
different implementation on different vendor OS.

> I tried compiling 9.2 and 9.3, works fine. This is only happening on 9.5.
>
> ../../src/port/libpgport_srv.a ../../src/common/libpgcommon_srv.a -lnsl
> -lrt -lsocket -lm -o postgres

> symbol                             in file
>
> atomic_cas_64                       port/atomics.o
>
> atomic_cas_32                       port/atomics.o
>
> ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to postgres
>
> make[2]: *** [postgres] Error 1
>
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/opt/postgresql-9.5.3/src/backend'
>
> make[1]: *** [all-backend-recurse] Error 2
>
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/postgresql-9.5.3/src'
>
> make: *** [all-src-recurse] Error 2

Humm .. Interesting. atomic_cas_64 seems suppose to part of standard c
library. There might be something wrong with the configuration. Probably
check "nm libc.so.1 | grep atomic_cas_64".

Any help would be appreciated. Do i need to give any particular CFLAGS ?

> Below is the *configure *command -
>

> ./configure --prefix=/opt/postgres/9.5.3 CC=/opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc
> 'CFLAGS=-xO3 -xarch=v9 -xspace -W0,-Lt -W2,-Rcond_elim -Xa -xildoff
> -xc99=none -xCC' --enable-cassert --without-readline --enable-thread-safety
> LDFLAGS='-L/usr/lib/sparcv9 -L/usr/ucblib/sparcv9'

AFAIR I deprived use of -xarch=v9 and used -m64 instead. I wonder why are
you using LDFLAGS='-L/usr/lib/sparcv9 -L/usr/ucblib/sparcv9', when you
provide -xarch=v9 compiler should automatically pick the correct libraries
and headers I think. There seems lot of cflags used, are you using them
because of any recommendation or any issue faced ?.

A few pointers:
1. What is version of SunStudio ?
2. Try

cat atomic_cas_64-test.c

#include <sys/atomic.h>
> int main()
> {
>         atomic_cas_64(NULL,NULL,NULL);
> }
>

> /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc -m64 atomic_cas_64-test.c -o atomic_cas_64-test

try ldd to check which library it is resolving atomic_cas_64 symbol i.e.

ldd atomic_cas_64-test

Regards,
Muhammad Asif Naeem