On 10/31/16 9:50 AM, Christofer C. Bell wrote:
He's getting a lot of pushback that really feels it's coming from the
wrong direction.  "Just learn it."  "It's always been this way."  "No
one agrees with you."  These arguments are unconvincing.  That said,
there's nothing wrong with just saying, "we're not going to change it
because we don't want to."

The community often does a horrible job of viewing things through the eyes of a new user. This is why mysql became so popular for a while. Comments like "just learn it" are unproductive and push new users away.

And we wonder why we're having trouble attracting new developers...

This has actually been discussed recently on -hackers as well[1], and there is some general consensus that simplification in this area would be a good idea.

1: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20160826202911.GA320593@alvherre.pgsql
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)   mobile: 512-569-9461