I think rejecting the data is the best approach. I raises a big flag to the sysadmin or user.

Tom Lane wrote:

"scott.marlowe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

The one thing that should absolutely be turned off is day/month swapping on dates of the form: 2003-02-22.

Agreed on that.  YYYY-DD-MM isn't used in the real world AFAIK, and it's
reasonable to treat it as an error.

I've seen little actual defense of the current behaviour,

Other than me, I think you mean.  dd/mm/yyyy and mm/dd/yyyy are
inherently ambiguous in the real world, and when you can clearly
determine what the intended meaning is, I think it's more reasonable
to assume the datestyle isn't set correctly than to reject the data.

regards, tom lane