Ok,
spoke to quickly! I am following the example here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2003-08/msg00110.php

for ssl support in postgreSQL jdbc (DriverVersion:PostgreSQL 8.0devel JDBC3 with SSL (build 308)). When I get to the final stage, copying the certificate into the java keystore:

keytool -keystore [your java home here]/lib/security/cacerts -alias [any name for the cert you like (i.e. postgres)] -import -file server.crt.der

I get the following message:

Trust this certificate? [no]:

I enter yes and get:

Certificate was added to keystore

I add ssl to my connection string:

jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5432/mydatabase?ssl

When I launch Jboss, which handles the connection to postgresql, I get the following error:

javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: No trusted certificate found

What am I doing wrong here????

many thanks

Andrew