On Mar 22, 2005, at 11:47 AM, Scott Marlowe wrote:

The same config on the old box with Pg 7.4.7 worked flawlessly for
running reports and dumps.  Another issue is that the 8.0 server is
noticeably slower than the 7.4 with identically (translated to 8.0
style) configs.

IS there a difference in the infrastructure for this server? Like firewalls and routing?

Nope. I actually pulled the ethernet wire from the dead box and plugged it into this one :-) The IP number is different by 1 bit. That's pretty much the only difference in the old and new boxes other than the move to Pg 8.0.1.

Also, is it vacuum / analyzed often?  Poor stats will cause the server
to run slower.

Yes, vacuum analyze regularly. The query plans seem identical except the cost estimates are a bit different in number of rows returned. The choice of plan remains the same...

Are you getting any output from the postgresql logs that would point to
backends dieing or anything like that?  This sounds like a networking /
client problem to me.

My only guess is that a bug in gcc when optimizing for opteron, so I'm rebuilding the kernel and libraries of the base OS without those optimizations to see what happens. I know the clients are not having problems since they've been stable for a long time.

I'm guessing nobody else is seeing arbitrary connection drops in 8.0.1, particularly on FreeBSD 5.4-PRERELEASE :-(

Funny thing is that the pg_dump worked yesterday...

Vivek Khera, Ph.D.
+1-301-869-4449 x806

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend