> I uninstalled PostgreSQL from windows for the sake of
> re-installing (for the sake of documenting an install for our
> product on a clean machine), and now during re-install on the
> Service Configuration screen I get "Invalid username
> specified: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password."
>
> Fine makes sense, I was using a new password for the postgres
> user... so I went to my computer management and deleted the
> postgres user, then rebooted, came back to install... but the
> message is still there. Yes I can rename the user from
> postgres to postgres2 or some such and things work fine, but
> this isn't acceptable for me right now.
>
> Anyone know what else may need to be purged from the system
> to allow a re-install with the same name/new password?

Nothing more should be needed, really. make sure it's actually gone -
maybe windows did a rollback-on-reboot? :-)
Possibly delete the user profile, but it shuoldn't have an efefct here.

> And
> what do the installer developers think about possibly
> building that into the installer?

Not likely. Way too dangerous, sicne the account may be used for other
things on other machines.

//Magnus

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster