Hi,

We have a couple of tables (40,000 and 600,000 rows each) that I am trying to build an index on an integer column.

When I issue the "create index foo_index on foo(id);" command in psql it just does not return. I've waited over half an hour for the smaller table.

The same command worked with no problems on a test environment with roughly the same data.

Any ideas what may be going on? When I use the "top" command, I don't see postmaster as working during this time. So I suspect that the create index has gone in some sort of a wait mode.

 Will appreciate any suggestions.

 Thanks

Claire

 --
 Claire McLister                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 1684 Nightingale Avenue     Suite 201

                     http://www.zeemaps.com

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend