Thanks.  Haven't VACUUMed ever. (Sloppy housekeeping:-)

Will do so and let you know if it helped.

There seems to have been some other problem too. I had to just now forcefully shut down the postmaster and re-start it as it was beginning to block on other requests as well.

If I Ctl-C the PSQL command for create index, it shouldn't cause a problem, right?