Tomi NA wrote:
On 9/19/06, Roman Neuhauser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
# [EMAIL PROTECTED] / 2006-09-19 21:26:16 +1000:
> if you want to be taken seriously by anyone who uses Windows (hands up
> anyone who knows a Windows user)

    1. what do those two things have in common?
    2. what makes you think that "anyone who uses Windows" runs
       PostgreSQL on it?
    3. my guess is you're a Windows programmer, and thus in much better
       position to fix the issue than Tom RedHat Lane.

His point makes sense, Roman. While pg is not a company or a company
product, it certainly needs to play nice with business in order for it
to *have* (a significent number of) users. As much as I dislike it
(probably the euphemism of the year), Windows is a fact on most
development machines and on a substantial number of servers. In the
case of Vista, even if none of the core commiters plan to support it,
it makes a lot more sense to store the RFE and say it'll have to wait,
than to say "you got a problem? go fix it". Both attitudes reflect the
same reality, but the fact that one is positive and one negative is
obvious.

The response is not because it's Windows. The response 'to provide a patch' is made to anyone who would like to see a particular functionality in the application that the core group is not working on or is not on their radar.

This is being made into a 'Windows vs..' thing and that's just not the case. I've seen folks suggest someone provide a patch for non-windows environments more so then windows environments.

Although Tom's response may have seemed to be negative towards windows, the original posting had a bit of an attitude to start with.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

 - Benjamin Franklin