On Tue, 19 Sep 2006, Tom Lane wrote:

Marc Evans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
... I have a table with about 15000 records in it, which I
would like to add a new column to. The alter command shows success.
However, testing inserts reveals that the data for the new column is never
stored.

What do you mean by that exactly?  The example you showed seems to be
doing just what it's supposed to.

In the failure mode, the source_record column always has the value NULL, regardless of any value specified in an insert. If I use UPDATE to change a record, the value is properly stored.

- Marc