On 11/23/21 02:01, Andres Freund wrote:
Hi,

On 2021-09-25 22:05:43 +0200, Hannu Krosing wrote:
If our aim is just to make sure that all user-visible data in
*transactional* tables is consistent with sequence state then  one
very much simplified approach to this could be to track the results of
nextval() calls in a transaction at COMMIT put the latest sequence
value in WAL (or just track the sequences affected and put the latest
sequence state in WAL at commit which needs extra read of sequence but
protects against race conditions with parallel transactions which get
rolled back later)

I think this is a bad idea. It's architecturally more complicated and prevents
use cases because sequence values aren't guaranteed to be as new as on the
original system. You'd need to track all sequence use somehow *even if there
is no relevant WAL generated* in a transaction. There's simply no evidence of
sequence use in a transaction if that transaction uses a previously logged
sequence value.

Not quite. We already have a cache of all sequences used by a session (see seqhashtab in sequence.c), and it's not that hard to extend it to per-transaction tracking. That's what the last two versions do, mostly.

But there are various issues with that approach, described in my last message(s).

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company