> 3) Instead of the subscriber pulling the slot info, why can't the
> publisher (via the walsender or a new bg worker maybe?) push the
> latest slot info? I'm not sure we want to add more functionality to
> the walsender, if yes, isn't it going to be much simpler?

Standby pulling the information or at least making a first attempt to
connect to the  primary is a better design as primary doesn't need to spend
its cycles repeatedly connecting to an unreachable standby. In fact,
primary wouldn't even need to know the followers, for example followers /
log shipping standbys