On 26.07.22 23:32, Tom Lane wrote:
1. Do we really want distinct names for the frontend and backend
versions of the macros?  Particularly since you're layering the
frontend ones over pg_malloc, which has exit-on-OOM behavior?
I think we've found that notational discrepancies between frontend
and backend code are generally more a hindrance than a help,
so I'm inclined to drop the pg_malloc_xxx macros and just use
"palloc"-based names across the board.

This seems like a question that is independent of this patch. Given that both pg_malloc() and palloc() do exist in fe_memutils, I think it would be confusing to only extend one part of that and not the other. The amount of code is ultimately not a lot.

If we wanted to get rid of pg_malloc() altogether, maybe we could talk about that.

(Personally, I have always been a bit suspicious about using the name palloc() without memory context semantics in frontend code, but I guess this is wide-spread now.)

3. Likewise, "palloc_obj" is perhaps less clear than it could be.
I find palloc_array just fine though.  Maybe palloc_object or
palloc_struct?  (If "_obj" can be traced to talloc, I'm not
seeing where.)

In talloc, the talloc() function itself allocates an object of a given type. To allocate something of a specified size, you'd use talloc_size(). So those names won't map exactly. I'm fine with palloc_object() if that is clearer.

One thought that comes to mind is that palloc_ptrtype is almost
surely going to be used in the style

        myvariable = palloc_ptrtype(myvariable);

and if it's not that it's very likely wrong.  So maybe we should cut
out the middleman and write something like

#define palloc_instantiate(ptr) ((ptr) = (typeof(ptr)) palloc(sizeof(*(ptr))))
        palloc_instantiate(myvariable);

Right, this is sort of what you'd want, really. But it looks like strange C code, since you are modifying the variable even though you are passing it by value.

I think the _ptrtype variant isn't that useful anyway, so if it's confusing we can leave it out.