On Wed, Dec 7, 2022 at 8:23 AM Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Andrew Dunstan <and...@dunslane.net> writes:
> > On 2022-12-07 We 09:20, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> Returning to the naming quagmire -- it occurred to me just now that
> >> it might be helpful to call this style of error reporting "soft"
> >> errors rather than "safe" errors, which'd provide a nice contrast
> >> with "hard" errors thrown by longjmp'ing.  That would lead to naming
> >> all the variant functions XXXSoft not XXXSafe.
>
> > I'm not sure InputFunctionCallSoft would be an improvement.
>
> Yeah, after reflecting on it a bit more I'm not that impressed with
> that as a function name either.
>
> (I think that "soft error" could be useful as informal terminology.
> AFAIR we don't use "hard error" in any formal way either, but there
> are certainly comments using that phrase.)
>
> More questions:
>
> * Anyone want to bikeshed about the new SQL-level function names?
> I'm reasonably satisfied with "pg_input_is_valid" for the bool-returning
> variant, but not so much with "pg_input_invalid_message" for the
> error-message-returning variant.  Thinking about "pg_input_error_message"
> instead, but that's not stellar either.

Why not do away with two separate functions and define a composite type
(boolean, text) for is_valid to return?

> * Where in the world shall we document these, if we document them?
> The only section of chapter 9 that seems even a little bit appropriate
> is "9.26. System Information Functions and Operators", and even there,
> they would need their own new table because they don't fit well in any
> existing table.

I would indeed just add a table there.

> BTW, does anyone else agree that 9.26 is desperately in need of some
> <sect2> subdivisions?  It seems to have gotten a lot longer since
> I looked at it last.

I'd be inclined to do something like what we are attempting for Chapter 28
Monitoring Database Activity; introduce pagination through refentry and
build our own table of contents into it.

David J.